Monday, August 17, 2009

Back to School with a New Attitude

Well, it's 'Back to School' time! Time for new 'sharp' crayons, new 'clean' folders, new 'unchewed' pencils, new clothes, new names, new faces, new smiles, new relationships, and LOTS of prayers.

Everyday on my 25 minute drive to school I sing praises to my Lord and spend time in prayer for my 'little ones', reminding myself that I don't know what each one has endured since I last saw them and at the same time beating myself up for my failures the day before. "I wasn't as patient as I should have been." - "Why didn't I really listen and look at little Suzy when she wanted to tell me that story?" - "Did I laugh with the class at all?" - "Did I praise Joey enough?" So, I would pray for a 'fresh attitude' and go do it all over again. And always feeling like a failure for all the things I had done wrong.

So I am asking myself if I truly want to touch each child with my Father's love and I am asking for the ability to make a difference on a daily basis, why am I failing? Why do I not turn to Him in the stressful moment and then berate myself later?

Well, yesterday's sermon was on prayer and God taught me a few things.



"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. " Matthew 7:7-8 (TNIV)

"My dear children, let's not just talk about love; let's practice real love. This is the only way we'll know we're living truly, living in God's reality. It's also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves. And friends, once that's taken care of and we're no longer accusing or condemning ourselves, we're bold and free before God! We're able to stretch our hands out and receive what we asked for because we're doing what he said, doing what pleases him." 1 John 3:18-22 (The Message)



Yesterday as I sat in church listening to the sermon I jotted the following notes:



"Pleasing God gets His ear"



"We must ask! God wants to bless us - but we MUST ask! Ask daily for: wisdom & Holy Spirit's power"



"Prayers for us should be to magnify Him"



"He sits and waits for us to ask for more of Him"



"God loves persistance, but He especially loves persistance in His will"


So, once again I am asking myself "If I truly want to make a difference in the lives of my 'little ones' and I am persistantly asking for more of Him what is the problem?" Well...if I am really honest I have to ask myself the following questions:

Do I really want Him to be magnified or do I want to be known as a 'great teacher'?

I may be persistant, but am I persistant in His will?

As 1 John 3 says I need to stop beating myself up for my daily failures and I need to truly love others. I may not like everything about everybody but I can love the people God created - with His help of course. If I truly love others just because He made them (after all, who am I to criticize what He created) and I stop beating myself up for failing (because I am NOT perfect and I WILL fail) then I will be bold and free before God. Then I will be able to stretch my hands out and receive what I ask for because I will be pleasing Him.

Well, that sounds simple enough - don't you think? Just love others and forgive myself. Okay God, here we go...

Father, I am asking that for this new school year I receive a new attitude - an attitude of love and forgiveness. Love (real agape love) for others and the ability to forgive myself of my failures. You know I am a perfectionist and I want to be the perfect teacher. Help me to turn lose of this perfection rope that binds me and instead cling to You and the freedom I can have in You. I want it to be all about You, Lord! Give me an attitude that pleases You! Make Your desires my desires! May You be glorified through Your work in my life! I love You and I want this new school year to be about You and how You will mold me and make me more like Jesus. Empty me of me and fill me with You!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Absolutely beautiful! What wonderful sentiments for facing the new year! Hope you don't mind that I'll be borrowing some of the thoughts and prayers that you post here! Thank you for your faithfulness in allowing God to speak to us through your posts. You have such uplifting thoughts and prayers!