Then someone told me about an inexpensive way to transform it! Rustoleum hammered paint
So I hunted and hunted and ended up having to order it on line. I bought it in two colors - bronze & copper - I didn't know which one I would want, but I did know that I wanted it to go with the antique bronze fixtures and faucet. I decided on the bronze, but decided to keep the copper. Here is how it all played out!
Day 1 (Saturday)
Tape off the counter and begin applying bronze hammered paint.
Coat 1 and wait 2 hours: "hmmm"
Coat 2 and wait 2 hours: "that's a little better"
Coat 3 and wait 2 hours: "now we're gettin somewhere - maybe one more coat and those brush marks will be gone"
Coat 4 and wait 2 hours: "oh man...those brush marks are still there. Well, maybe I can use a different technique to get rid of them - I will just pat the counter with the side of the brush and give it a faux marble look."
3 hours later I wanted to be DONE so I applied a coat of polyurethane and off to bed I went! I am not very patient when it comes to projects!
Day 2 (Sunday)
Somehow the counter did not look as good in the light of day as it did at midnight the night before. "Oh no! What have I done! I should have never applied that polyurethane yet. What can I do to fix this?"
I soon had it all figured out!!
After church, I stopped at Wal-Mart and was told by the Master Paint Man that I definitely should not use polyurethane because it will turn yellow - I needed polycrylic ($17 a quart - "yikes it must be white gold in a can!"). I also purchased some small wire brushes and sandpaper block.
"Wow! If I hadn't messed up last night I never would have known that! I would have put on 2-3 coats of polyurethane and it would have eventually all turned yucky yellow. So glad I made that mistake!"
So I headed home and...
Levi went to work sanding off the polyurethane. And...I decided to add more coats of the bronze hammered paint because now the counter was all dull looking. So . . .
Coat 1 and wait 2 hours: "lookin good"
Coat 2 and wait 2 hours: "oh yeah"
Coat 3 and wait 2 hours: "almost done!"
Next I used the small wire brush to dab some copper hammered paint onto the bronze. Then I took a wadded up plastic wal-mart bag and swirled it. Voila!! "Yes! That's what I wanted!"
Next it was time for the 'white gold in a can'.
Coat 1 and wait 3 hours
Coat 2 and wait 3 hours
Day 3 (Monday)
Remove all the tape & caulk around sink and counter top.
Are you ready . . .
Drum roll please . . .
Here it is!
The transformed bathroom countertop!