Monday, July 20, 2009

The Love Chapter

1 Corinthians 13 has always been a favorite. This morning I read it in The Message.

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first",
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end. (vs. 4-7)

Well, it looks like our society doesn't know much about love! And I am ashamed to say that includes me. I have gotten better over the years, but I have a LONG way to go.

...when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled. (vs. 10)

YES!! The promise - I just love it when I hear a promise from God - He doesn't expect me to get it right everytime - He knows I am incomplete and unable - BUT, one day it will all change!

When I was an infant at my mother's breast, I gurgled and cooed like any infant. When I grew up, I left those infant ways for good. (vs. 11)

Just like I thought earlier, I have gotten better over the years. I have grown - God did not leave me where I was 10 years ago and He will not leave me where I am now, as long as I am actively seeking Him.

We don't see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing Him directly just as He knows us! (vs. 12)

So much of my life I spend trying to figure out: What makes that person tick? Why would so-and-so do that? What happened that made her so bitter? Why isn't this Christian joyful? What can I do to fix this situation? Why can't people keep their negative comments to theirself? What does God want me to do? Why can't I hear what God wants me to do? Verse 12 explains it all and reminds me that it's always going to be like this until He returns! When Jesus comes back we will see Him and be like Him! Oh Happy Day!!!

But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love. (vs. 13)

Lord, I want to be more like you, Jesus, everyday! I want to trust You completely! I want to cling to the hope I have in You with all my might! I want to love others extravagantly! Help me to see with Your eyes, hear with Your ears, and love with Your heart. Thank you for reminding me that it is not all about me - help me to put aside my 'me-first' attitude. Help me to not 'revel when others grovel' and I do want to 'take pleasure in the flowering of truth'. May each day I depend on You because I know that without You it is impossible for me to do any of these things. Thank you for not leaving me where I was - and just so we're clear - I do not want to stay where I am! I want to be more like the Creator!

No comments: