Thursday, July 16, 2009

Holy - what is it?

HOLY - I have always loved this word - HOLY

For some reason today the word Holy is at the front of my mind and I don't know why, so I decided it must be a God thing and to just go with it.

First, I looked up the definition:
Webster defines Holy as "exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness."

Next, I went to God's Word and was reminded of this verse:
Psalm 99:9 "For the Lord our God is holy!"

I love music, so I naturally thought of one of my favorite old hymns, "Holy, Holy, Holy".

Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty!

Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.

Holy, Holy, Holy, merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blessed trinity!
I must have sung that song a million times and never realized the connection between "Holy, Holy, Holy" (3 times) and the trinity. Wow!
One of my new favorites is "The Revelation Song". When this song is on I really belt out the following part:
Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come!
Addison Road recorded the song, "What Do I Know of Holy". I have the CD and pulled it out to read the words. I can sing a song a hundred times but there is just something about reading the lyrics that causes me to really get the message. This one hit me!
I've made you promises a thousand times
I've tried to hear from heaven
But I talk the whole time
I think I made you too small
I've never feared you at all, no
If you touched my face would I know you
Looked into my eyes could I behold you
What do I know of you
Who spoke me into motion
Where have I even stood
But the shore along your ocean
Are you fire, are you fury
Are you sacred, are you beautiful
So what do I know
What do I know of holy
I guess I thought that I had you figured out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How you were mighty to save
But those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who you might be
The slightest hint of you brought me down to my knees
What do I know of Holy
What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame
And a God who gave life its name
What do I know of Holy
Of the One who the angels praise
All creation knows your name
On earth and heaven above
What do I know of this love
What do I know of Holy
What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame
And a God who gave life its name
Wow! Lord, I sit and I think - I am almost speechless - I am humbled.
Was this song written for me? No, I don't think so, but I do
think you led me to it today and I thank you!
I have made you so many promises, just like this song said, and I
have done all the talking most of the time. I have even said
"I don't fear God - He loves me, so why should I fear Him?"
I am sorry for being arrogant and thinking, "I know all the stories
and I have you figured out". I thank you, Lord, that you showed me
this glimpse of 'holy' and brought me to my knees.
I now realize that I don't really know anything of 'holy'
I cannot fathom the wounds of Jesus that healed my shame.
and a God that gave life its name.
But I am so grateful that I do know The Holy One - Jesus!
Day after day and night after night they keep on saying, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty - the one who always was, who is, and who is still to come." Revelation 4:8
Holy - I have always loved the word, and I will always love the one it stands for - my Jesus!

No comments: