Sunday, January 17, 2010

From Helpless to Hopeful

Do you ever feel empty? Useless? Tired? Burdened? Overwhelmed? Helpless?

I think a LOT of people are probably feeling some or all of these feelings these days.

The bills after Christmas burden us!

The sunless days of winter make us tired!

The fast pace of society wears us down!

Someone we love faces a medical scare and we feel useless!

A dear friend loses a loved one and we feel helpless!

ALL of these things have happened recently and I have been feeling empty - burdened - tired - helpless and overwhelmed!

And now...

The devastation in Haiti ... It is overwhelming!!!

This earthquake kind of puts things into perspective, don't you think?

God has been prodding me and reminding me that He is the only source of strength!

God is our protection and our strength.
He always helps in times of trouble.
The Lord All-Powerful is with us;
the God of Jacob is our defender.
Psalm 46:1, 11


He is our only hope!!

He gives strength to those who are tired and more power to those who are weak. The people who trust the LORD will become strong again. They will rise up as an eagle in the sky; they will run and not need rest; they will walk and not become tired. Isaiah 40:29, 31


My SisterChick, Lana, has a daughter, Heather. Heather is married to Gerson, a Haitian, and they have been living in St. Louis. During the past week Lana's father passed away and then the country of Haiti experienced the devastating earthquake. For days Heather and Gerson knew nothing about his family. Thank God they have found out that his family is alive. I cannot imagine the fear that gripped them. They have such an amazing faith and have continued to place their hope and trust in our Heavenly Father. Heather and Gerson are traveling to Haiti this next week with a medical team from our church.

It is so exciting to see God at work!

What Satan meant for evil for the country of Haiti, God can use for good! Many people have come together to help the poor people of Haiti. God can and will use them to make a difference for His kingdom! May His will be done.

Abba, You are mighty and You are God! That is all we need to know - but You have provided us with so much more! Your word assures us that You are the Great I AM - the Alpha and the Omega - the Beginning and the End - the Creator - the Great Physician! In James, Your word tell us "When a believing person prays, great things happen". Father, all over this world believers are praying for the people of Haiti and for the overwhelming taks that are ahead for them and the relief workers. We anticipate and claim the promise of the great things You have planned for Haiti.

I ask that You provide strength, materials, workers, and provisions for these selfless people.

I pray for the many, many people who still do not know if their loved ones are dead or alive.

I pray especially for Heather and Gerson as they return to Gerson's family. I know that there is no way they can be prepared for what they will see, Lord, but just hold them close and may their faith be seen by others.

I pray for Jon and Lisa Bird, Dr. Killion, and the others from our community who are giving of themselves to help the injured and hurting people of Haiti. Father, guide them and provide for them as they are Your hands and feet in a lost and hurting part of Your world.

And Father I ask that you would work in my life. I have so much to be thankful for and yet I am so selfish! I want to stay focused on You, Lord. I want to live for You. I want to listen to You. I want to be obedient to You. I want to be fueled by You on a continuous basis! I want everday to be about You - not me!

I love you, Jesus!


No comments: